Martin Garza, Jr.
About the City Manager’s Office
The purpose of the City Manager’s Office is to implement policy/directions, as issued by the Mayor and City Council, in the most equitable and effective manner. The Office seeks to provide professional management guidance to the organization of the City, City Council, and citizens in accordance with I.C.M.A. standards.
City Manager responsibilities:
- The overall coordination of organizational activities
- Provide administrative direction/coordination via oral and written managerial leadership techniques concerning city operations
- The overall economic development program with the city
- Ex-Officio member of Mission Economic Development Corporation
- Board member of Mission Economic Development Authority
- Citizen inquiries/complaints.
- Provide information/direction on citizen inquiries about city operations
- Compile customer complaint log and review the log weekly with City Staff
- Legal affairs of the city
- Coordinate all lawsuits filed against the city with the insurance company and legal counsel
- Investigate potential claims against the city
- Coordinate the overall Personnel Administration of the city
- Develop, in conjunction with the City Council, City committees and staff, capital projects for evaluation, financing and implementation
- Periodically attend all advisory boards and committee meetings of the city
- Oversee, in conjunction with the Finance Department, the preparation, implementation and review of the annual budget, serve as the city’s budget officer
- Act as a negotiator on behalf of the city for all contracts, leases and agreements
- Coordinate activities relating to the Senior Management meetings
- Meet with department heads concerning operations in their department